Show Mobile Navigation

Templateism?

Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Okagbare carries hopes of a nation

Abraham - July 24, 2013

Okagbare carries hopes of a nation

 

Blessing Okagbare, Nigeria's best hope at the World Championships, told politicians back home that the prospects of winning medals at this year's event were good.

 

"I'm approaching our target and God willing we'll get there. I dedicate this to you, sir," Okagbare told the Vanguard Newsthis week.

 

The "you" in the quote makes particular reference to Governor Emmanuel Uduaghan, who has played a significant role in her career development.

 

The sprint and long jump athlete really is carrying the hopes of a nation on her shoulders and is clearly prepared to embrace the challenge. She also feels like she owes it to the Governer to win a medal in Moscow.

 

While sprinting is her strongest discipline, Okagbare has proven that she can compete with Russian sensation Darya Klishina in the sand too. Her performance at the Diamond League in Monaco is evidence of this.

 

"I would say nine out of ten. It's a PB for me. My fourth and fifth jumps were better but I fouled them. My seven metres jump was far from perfect, and we're working on a lot of different things," said the Nigerian athlete of her performances in Monaco.

0 comments:

Post a Comment